Wilder v Fury II Recap

Photo Credit: Mikey Williams


As with the first encounter between the two heavyweights, the rematch between Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury did not disappoint. Here’s how it went down…


The evening began with Tyson Fury making his way into the ring, donning a crown and red robe, carried on a parade float. The entrance was very fitting given the heavyweight’s nickname of ‘The Gypsy King’, as Patsy Cline’s Crazy echoed throughout the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Next came the WBC Champion Deontay Wilder, dressed in black gladiatorial armour which featured red LED lights around the eyes. The boxer’s ring-walk costume reportedly cost $40,000, which was part of his dedication towards Black History Month. Wilder was accompanied by the rapper D Smoke, who performed his song Black Habits.

Round 1

Though Wilder had some success at the start of the fight, landing a right-hand and going to the body, Fury soon turned the round in his favour. The Gypsy King was able to use his double feint with success, as he did in the first fight, and managed to take up the centre of the ring, proving that he was going to take the fight to Wilder as he said he would.

Round 2

Wilder started the round off well, managing to land another right-hand on the chin of Fury, though the Brit took the shot well. In what was a quieter round, Fury was able to display his fantastic head movement, take up the centre of the ring yet again, and finish the round with landing a solid right-hand before using his height and weight advantages to bully Wilder into the neutral corner.

Round 3

Fury’s pre-fight claim that he would be more aggressive and go for the knockout against Wilder truly came to life in the third. The Gypsy King utilised his reach by establishing his jab and continuously leaned on Wilder whenever the pair came close. Then, with 37 seconds left in the round, a big right overhand from Fury sent the Bronze Bomber to the canvas, with Fury raising his hands in celebration. Wilder made the count but was clearly shaken and off-balance, ending the round on the canvas for a second time, though this was ruled as a slip by referee Kenny Bayless.

Round 4

Blood was now seeping from the left ear of Wilder, who again was judged to have slipped when on the canvas early in the fourth. The Bronze Bomber was on the back foot and looked in trouble for much of the round but managed to hold on well.

Round 5

This contest was soon becoming a one-sided affair by the fifth, with Fury starting the round with a strong right-hand and a flurry of punches. Just before the halfway point in the round, Tyson landed a solid left hook to the body on a retreating Wilder, sending the American to the canvas yet again. Wilder got up from the second knockdown of the fight but undoubtedly looked unstable on his feet. After missing a wild effort at a right-hand, Wilder almost fell into the ropes, showing the WBC Champion’s balance was off the mark, with most attributing this as being a result of the shot from Fury in the third which sent Wilder to the floor. The round ended with Fury being deducted a point for hitting after a call for a break. 

Round 6

Much of this round was spent in the corner of the ring, with Fury dominating Wilder on the inside, who was now bleeding from the mouth. Fury even had time to taunt his opponent’s corner with his tongue during one of the clinches, showing just how confident the Gypsy King was despite being on the grandest stage of them all.

Round 7

After managing to trap Wilder in the corner yet again, Fury went about picking his shots patiently. He feinted with his left hand before throwing consecutive straight shots, including a crisp right hand which went straight through the gap between Wilder’s high guard. This was enough for Wilder’s corner, who made the safe decision to throw in the towel. The world had a new WBC and The Ring Heavyweight Champion.


Though Wilder immediately questioned his corner’s decision to pull their man out of the fight, it was soon clear that the contest was only going one way. Fury, yet again, proved his doubters wrong, and set out what he had promised he would do. He bravely took the fight to Wilder and was aggressive from the start, showing his intent to stop the American and not leave the decision to the judges this time around.

As things stand, Deontay Wilder has 30 days to exercise an immediate rematch with Fury, which would most likely take place in summer 2020. This would mean that Anthony Joshua would have to wait for an undisputed fight, with Eddie Hearn expressing his enthusiasm for a fight between the two British superstars soon after Fury was crowned champion. As well as the “Big Three”, one must not forget the likes of Dillian Whyte and Oleksandr Usyk are also waiting patiently, or not so patiently, for their chance at world title glory. 

Do you want to see a trilogy, or do you want AJ v Fury next? Who do you see being the undisputed heavyweight champion by 2021, if anyone? Let us know in the comments!